All I wanted was some attention!!!1!1! [Craving some?]

Imagine a universe that is completely opposite from the one you are currently living in. In this universe, you are the absolute center. Everywhere you go, all cater to you and pay nothing but attention. You never have to worry about being ignored or feeling invisible. Everyone has their eyes on you. Sounds great huh? Most could only dream of this. But, this could only be a dream. Since, obviously it can't be possible to be recognized by everyone.To have everyone on the planet listening to you,or at least care to listen to you. To have everyone just give you some attention.
In chapter 1 of Black Boy, Richard finds himself unconsciously acting out. There is an instance were he goes to school for the first time and learns various "four-letter words." he doesn't quite comprehend what the words mean, but he still joyfully skips around the neighborhood still stopping to write them on every window. This kid clearly wanted attention. I know there were times especially when I was younger were I would learn things, and obnoxiously repeat them (or when it came to learning my ABC's, recite them) just so I could be congratulated and told how smart I am.
Earlier on in the Chapter, there was the fire incident. Richard just wanted to see some curtains burn right? Could this be a cry for attention? It could...it could. Richard might seem like the typical attention-craving youngster. However, this may have just been an accident. Richard may not have even had the intention of burning anything...but the curtains. He may have just wanted to see some fire. The incident does not have to be automatically connected to him being deprived of attention.
I know I for one like burning things, and I of course could careless if anyone is watching or giving me attention.

0 comments:

Post a Comment