We are ugly, but We are here. [a response]

How are we today, Sister?
I am ugly, but I am here.


These words  soon became an adopted greeting exchanged between oppressed Haitian women as basically a code for hope.
Danticat recalls her experience being born under Haiti's dictatorial Duvalier regime and later her immigration to the United States when she was four.
"I know women who, when the soldier came to their homes in Haiti, would tell their daughters to lie still and play dead. I once et a women whose sister was shot in her pregnant stomach because she was wearing a t-shirt with an 'anti-military image'. I know a mother who was arrested and beaten for working with a pro-democracy group. Her body remains laced with scars where the soldiers put out their cigarettes on her flesh." This is insane. I can't even fathom to understand going through this. Tragedy is never good, but for some reason "the man" can chose what is important and what is not. While things like this, fly under the radar, unnoticed. On the news, I have never heard anything about Haiti... not until the Earthquake sometime last year, but Danticat wrote this in 1996.  Obviously, there are somethings more important than those segments on "New dog foods" and "Gas prices rise." Some things need to be said but are never heard. And if they are heard....they need a larger audience. I'm not trying to say that if they broadcasts more segments on Haiti, it would go 180 and become perfect. But, it's worth a try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment