King Still King??

Ah, so if you are an individual living in the United States, you should know that all things will take a pause Monday next week. Why you ask? Simple, it's Martin Luther King Jr's Birthday. Actually, his birthday is technically on January 15, but is observed on Monday. For as long as I can remember, I have always gotten the 3rd Monday of January off. I recall back in kindergarten reading books about MLK and coloring him with Crayola crayons the Friday before the break. But, obviously at that time I just liked coloring and did not really understand the concept of Martin Luther King. As I grew older and the tradition continued, I slowly learned more and more about the civil rights activist. Honestly, since graduating Elementary school, I haven't done anything for Martin Luther King Day. It has gradually become just another day off. I like 3 day weekends and this day makes me happy. I take it and use it for myself and not exactly to celebrate the civil rights activist that is Martin Luther King Jr. I know I am not the only one. Don't get me wrong, what he did was great and all but, is it possible that we could have achieved the racial tolerance we have today without Martin Luther King? Is it necessary to have a day to celebrate someone just because he unwillingly died for the cause? Martin Luther was assassinated by someone who didn't exactly agree with him. It wasn't as if he was protesting or marching around doing something illegal and then shot by a police officer. Martin Luther King was great. But to this day, he just seems overrated. Again don't get me wrong. He did something great. But, honestly it's not like there's a Rosa Parks day. Judy Shepard Day (Gay Rights activist). Elizabeth Cady Stanton Day (women's suffrage/voting rights leader). The list can go on forever. But, why? Why don't we get a day off everyday for those who have made a difference. Simple. We have to go to school. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment