American [uh-mer-i-kuhn]-noun, as defined by Dictionary.com, is simply a citizen of the United States of America. 

However, there is truly much more to being an American then just being a citizen. An American can get through so much to obtain the honor of holding such a title. An American can have a background and culture so unlike another. An American can be different and still fit in. Being an American is for the most part something to be proud of. If there is nothing in your life you feel you have accomplished, you can cross "become an American" off your list. That is, if you are an American? To me, an American is not an adjective or noun. It is not a word placed to separate the people in the United States from those in Africa, Asia or even Europe. An American is defined by those who are American. To understand the complete concept of being an American, you must become one yourself? How is that possible if you do not know what an American is? It's not that complicated. Being an American is almost a state of being. It can not be completely verified by "papers" or forms with signatures.    
From my own experiences, I did not come to America in a boat. I did not walk across the border with bare feet or illegally "jump" gates to California. No, I took the easy way. Through my mama's tummy. The day I was born, I came to America fair and square without the hassle of sneaking in. I automatically became a citizen and had my entitlement to become an American. But was I really an American? At that moment as an infant, I definitely knew less about being an American than those who actually had to smuggle themselves across the borders. But I was actually born here and with that became an "American." Obviously there is something wrong here. 
According to official documents, I am an American. With this, I have been granted the freedom of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, but to me I think I have not been given this fairly. I'm not exactly sure if I am American. I haven't done anything noble like join the Military or run for President. I don't really know what it means to be an American. Thus, I am not exactly 100 percent sure I actually am one. I celebrate the fourth of July every year with barbecues and fireworks, but what does that really mean? I'm not a be fan of McDonald's. But on the other hand, Hamburgers are pretty delicious. Can I still be an American? 

2 comments:

    People won't welcome you for what you do, but for who you are. You are a unique one Chigo, you're an absolute American! :D

     

    Aww thank you amy (: I'm guess I am American!

     

Post a Comment